Friday, October 31, 2008

Voting: It Tastes Like Democracy

Vote cast. Democracy saved. Sticker acquired.

I was looking forward to casting my vote on Election Day, amidst all the pageantry the DeSoto, KS branch of the VFW can muster, but I've committed myself to volunteering in Missouri Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. So advance voting was the only option.

This was my first time casting a ballot at a polling location, with a voting machine. I mailed in absentee ballots in 2004 and 2006, and if you're thinking, "Hey, Andrew, didn't you go to college in Florida? Why did you vote in blood red Kansas when you could have had an impact in a swing state?", well, you've got the same thought process as the classmate and Gainesville Democratic operative I had a crush on at the time.

But we're veering off the highway of topicality here. I wanted to brag about my valiant participation in America's democratic experience, but I also wanted to do some housekeeping. As noted above, I'll be pretty heavily engaged Sunday-Tuesday, so blogging will probably be light. I might be able to write something on one of those days, but no promises. I hoped to do an Election Night liveblog, but that's probably off the table.

To make up for one of those absentee days, however, I'm giving you a double dose of the Distressed Reporter charisma tomorrow. Look for a write-up of the Florida-Georgia game and my official prediction for the election.

No comments: